The Board of Police Commissioners of the City of South Beloit, Illinois is accepting applications for the purpose of creating a police officer eligibility list for hiring. Click to apply: https://applytoserve.com/Application.aspx?ID=401
Starting Salary: $51,717 (with step increases every year for the first 6 years as well as after the 10th and 15th year)
- Full-time officers are represented by the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) Labor Council
- Officers receive an excellent benefits package and police pension program
Sworn Police Officers: 13 (full-time) and 1 (part-time)
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the City of South Beloit Board of Police Commissioners:
- U.S. citizenship;
- Minimum of 21 years of age -AND- not over the age of 35 at time of appointment, except as provided in 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6;
- No felony convictions;
- Possess a valid driver’s license;
- Be a high school graduate -OR- possess a G.E.D. equivalent;
- Valid NIPSTA (P.O.W.E.R. Test) card issued within the past 12 months of the date of job appointment.
- Must have a maximum uncorrected visual acuity of 20/200 that is correctable to at least 20/40 -AND- be free from color-blindness;
- Must meet other criteria as established by the Board of Police Commissioners.
Lateral Transfer Candidates: An applicant who is a police officer in good standing with the law enforcement agency he/she is employed with and certified by the State certification board is eligible to be placed on a lateral transfer eligibility list.
- Lateral transfer candidates are NOT required to obtain a P.O.W.E.R. test card;
- Lateral transfer candidates are NOT required to take the written exam;
- Lateral transfer candidates AREREQUIRED to participate in the oral interview process;*
- If the written exam requirement is waived, the oral examination shall constitute 100% of the applicant’s total score.
In order to be eligible for the Lateral Transfer Eligibility List, you must meet the following requirements:
- Has served as a police officer in a regularly constituted police department of any Illinois municipality, -OR- has served as a deputy under Section 3-6008 of the Counties Code, -OR- has served as a sworn officer as a member of the Illinois Department of State Police;
- Be currently employed as a police officer by a regularly constituted police department of any Illinois municipality with at least one (1) year in the position -AND- in good standing in the police department in which the person serves/served previously;
- Possesses substantially equivalent skills and abilities as a City of South Beloit Police Officer who has completed the probationary period;
- Has taken and passed such examinations as the Commission deems necessary to determine fitness for duty as a police officer;
- Applicant authorizes the Board’s review of the applicant’s personnel file(s) and executes any and all documents necessary to facilitate such review.
Such applicants will be placed on a separate lateral-entrant eligibility register. The lateral-entry applicant with the highest ranking on the final lateral-entrant eligibility register will be considered tied with the highest ranking applicant on the final entry-level eligibility register for purposes of appointment to a vacancy by the Board. The Board, in its sole and absolute discretion, may make a conditional offer of employment, when one becomes available, to either candidate per its Rules and Regulations.
- Military: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged. A copy of Form DD-214 (indicating status of discharge) must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Education: Persons possessing an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice -OR- a Bachelor’s Degree in any subject. A copy of your transcripts or diploma must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Law Enforcement Experience: Persons who are currently, or have previous experience as a law enforcement officer. A copy of your State law enforcement certification must be submitted with application to qualify.
Note: Applicants will also need to download, complete, and upload a completed preference points request form included as part of this application.
Submission of Application:
Applications MUST be submitted online by Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Orientation and Written Examination Testing: Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to attend the following:
Clear your calendar and make sure you are available on the following date: All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process. NOTE: PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL SPAM FOLDER AS SOMETIMES EMAIL PROVIDERS (SUCH AS GMAIL, YAHOO, ETC.) SEND OUR EMAILS DIRECTLY TO SPAM.Saturday, October 9, 2021 – Starts promptly at 9 AM Location: South Beloit High School (Library – Enter through the East Doors) 245 Prairie Hill Road South Beloit, IL 61080 Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants: As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit the required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, the following documents must be submitted with your application and received prior to the deadline:
- Copy of valid driver’s license;
- Copy of birth certificate;
- Copy of social security card;
- Copy of high school diploma (or transcripts) -OR- G.E.D. equivalency;
- Copy of DD-214 indicating discharge status for military personnel;
- Copy of college transcripts or diploma (if applicable);
- Copy of State Law Enforcement Officer Certificate (if applicable).
The South Beloit Board of Police Commission, The City of South Beloit and The South Beloit Police Department are
an Equal Opportunity Employer.