Interested? Apply at this link
Job Title: Public Works Laborer
Department: Street (PWD)
Position Reports to: Street Superintendent
General Purpose and Description:
This position is responsible for the daily operations in the City’s street department.
- Works directly under the direction of the Street Superintendent, but may receive direction from the city council on occasion or upon request.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- · Repair and Maintain equipment, including keeping proper maintenance records.
- · Snow plowing and salting. Including After hours, holidays, and weekends when necessary.
- · Complies with all written safety rules and regulation of the city.
- · Repair and maintenance of city buildings.
- · Grass mowing on city property
- · Tree trimming and removal.
- · Road repairs
- · Storm sewer maintenance
- · Catch basin repair and replacement
- · Road painting
- · Repair and maintenance of city parks
- · Assist in maintaining storm water management record keeping.
- · Maintain City storm sewer system
- · All other duties assigned by city officials
· High school graduate or equivalent GED
· Must obtain a class B Commercial Driver’s License within 90 days of hire and maintain such during employment with the city.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- · General knowledge of materials, equipment, tools, and techniques used in street maintenance with the ability to perform said techniques.
- · Ability to perform strenuous physical work under varied weather conditions.
- · Ability to maintain effective work environment with other employees and to deal courteously with the general public.
- · Some understanding of the following computer systems: Excel, Microsoft Word and other general computer functions is preferred.
- · Capable of being on call after hours, on weekends and holidays.
- · Mechanical and electrical experience is preferred, including gas and diesel engines.
- · Understand, read, write, and speak English
- · Ability to Troubleshoot
- · Ability to understand directives, understand and learn from manuals, blueprints, electrical schematics, work with third party contactors.
Tools and Equipment Used:
- · Telephone
- · Computers
- · Backhoe
- · Loader tractor
- · Large and small mowers
- · Snow plow trucks with salt spreaders
- · Chainsaws
- · Road pavement saws
- · Street sweeper
- · Skid Loader
- · Dump Trucks
· The Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
· While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to stand, walk, use hands, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms.
· The employee is required to sit, occasionally climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear and smell.
· The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 100 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
· The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
· While performing the duties of the job the employee may work in adverse weather conditions (rain, snow, ice, cold, humidity and the dark).
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties list above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the work that may be assigned to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Job Type: Full-time
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Driver’s License (Preferred)
- Class B Commercial Driver’s License (Preferred)
- One location